Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How not to train for a half marathon

I'm excited to say that Laura and I completed the Seattle Half Marathon.  It was a great experience, and I'm looking forward to the next one!  There were however some things that I could have done differently.

My training outside of Crossfit consisted of 5 training runs; a 10k, a 7 mile run, a 8 mile run, a 9 mile run, and a 10 mile run.  I'm pretty happy with little running specific training that I completed the run in 2 hours and 15 minutes.  However, it could have been a 2 hour run for me and less stress on the legs had I trained appropriately.  Mile 12 of the race my knee gave out, and I had to walk to release the tension and then was able to finish with a steady jog. 


Laura and I at the start of the race!


Back to training for Sectionals!

11/29 Recap

WOD
12minute AMRAP:  400M run, 5 Deadlifts

This seemed to be a cruel joke after the half marathon, but I chose a light load, 153#, and completed 5 rounds while stretching out my hammies.

Wendler 3-3-12
Bench Press 70lbs, 80lbs, 90lbs

Skills
Ring Dips, Muscle Up Progressions, Double Unders

Thanks to Rona I worked on Ring Dips, a set of 3 and a set of 2.  I attempted two musle ups on the rings which was humorous but completed one decent musle up progression.  It was the closest I've felt to doing something that actually resembles a muscle up.  Good stuff.  I got some more double under practice in.  Last night I received my RX Jump Rope and I Love it.  My double unders have regressed to double, single, double, single as I'm using the jump up with straight leg technique.  It seems to be working.  I can consistently achieve 10 Doubles with this method. 

Food

Breakfast- Grapes, Americano w/ heavy cream
Lunch- Beef Stew, Avocado
Dinner- Turkey, Cranberry, Carrots, Broccoli
Snack- Nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment