Monday, November 15, 2010

30 Day Challenge Take #2

So judging from my last few postings I think that everyone can see that my eating habits have not been so stellar.  Yesterday afternoon my Mom was baking and my good eating went to hell in a hand basket.  The issue is that this has been a continuous pattern for the past few weeks.  My Mom bakes all the time.  She's a fine baker, but I generally don't eat what she makes.  It just seems that for whatever reason, call it stress or lack of willpower, I've been saying yes more than I've been saying no lately.

The Whole 30 is back.  If you don't know what it is, check out this link.  If you do it, you will feel better and your health will improve.  I want to feel better, I want to be healthy, and I want killer performance in the gym.  White Chocolate Molasses Bars and Wine are not going to get me there.

www.whole9life.com

Breakfast and Lunch ready to go.  
For the next 30 Days you will see posts of my Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner.  Feel free to post your meals and your ideas to implement Lifelong Paleo Eating.

Disclaimer:  My Mom, Gary, my Best friend and I are going out to a restaurant on 11/28.  I will not be eating Paleo for that meal.

4 comments:

  1. It is ON . . . breakfast is avocado, chicken sausage (with no preservatives), shredded cabbage lightly sauted in EVOO with a sprinkling of garlic powder, organic Fuji apple with a teaspoon of almond butter . . . for lunch, I am having the left-over for breakfast, dinner - baked wild black cod, romaine lettuce and carrot salad. Maybe I will also eat my remaining one persimmon which I really, really love . . . . and today, Nov. 15th is my husband's birthday . . . I love my sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't beat yourself up...among other things, it is built into us as a survival mechanism. (check out this article) Keep up the good work and know it is normal for us to struggle with this at this time of year! :)
    Kelly

    Nutrition: are we hardwired to feel hungry in winter and put on weight?
    Amanda Ursell

    Dr Michael Smolensky, an expert in chronobiology (the study of the body's natural rhythms and cycles) at the University of Texas at Houston, says that people who live in countries that are cold in winter eat more than they do in warmer seasons: “Adults typically consume 6 to 7 per cent more calories in the winter.”

    There could be many reasons why. Eating more in winter helped our ancestors to survive when food was scarce, and this drive to stock up on food reserves may be hardwired into our systems. So even though we have access to food pretty much 24 hours a day whatever the season, we still increase our consumption during the colder months.

    Smolensky also notes that we discern tastes better in the evening and so enjoy food more. Since we spend more time at home in the evenings during winter, perhaps we make food an even more important focal point of the day. And after 5pm it apparently takes more food to make us feel satisfied than earlier in the day, so it is likely that we go on snacking after our main meal because we are stuck inside with nothing to distract us if we still feel peckish.

    If you snack while watching TV, the chances are you that you go on eating without really registering what you consume. A recent study in the American Journal of Health Promotion revealed an association between TV viewing and the consumption of high-calorie snacks - obviously tucking into such energy-dense things as ice-cream, biscuits and cakes will add on extra pounds.




    Winter depression - a form of seasonal affective disorder that is more prevalent in northern areas and in parts of the world with a high proportion of overcast autumn and winter days - is alsolinked to increased appetite, carbohydrate cravings and weight gain. However, this syndrome often responds well to artificial light therapy, and in spring begins to subside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marissa...I'm happy to see you're joining the challenge! Happy Birthday to your Hubby!!

    Kelly...Thank you for the great article! Eating at night is definitely an issue for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure Garrett will be happy to go out and eat...

    ReplyDelete