Friday, November 26, 2010

Breaking the silence...

Sorry guys for the lack of posting.  There's been just a few things going on the past couple of days:  lots of snow, sickness, & philosophical food discussions.  

Let's start with the last one.  Michelle and I were discussing the Whole 30 and the after effects, wanting everything that you had not eaten for 30 days.   In general, my eating habits to begin with are good.  I don't eat pasta, bread, grains, and I consume limited amounts of dairy.  I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and protein.  Occasionally, I may want ice cream or chocolate, but it's not that often.  Last weekend, I made the Paleo Lasagna that I posted and I added mozzarella cheese to it as well.  What's funny is that I felt like I was committing a crime.  The guilt was ridiculous and the obsession of the addition of cheese a little kooky.  At the end of the day it was a sign of why the whole 30 is not sustainable for me long term.  Now I'm still going to post what I eat, because it is important and I do want to improve my eating patterns.  I just want it to be long term and life long.

What's ironic is I went to a fabulous dinner with my Mom last night for Thanksgiving Dinner and I didn't touch the bread or the mashed potatoes.  They were not appealing among the turkey, cranberries, & roasted vegetables.  I did eat the dessert, but the cool thing about going to a restaurant is that you can't go back for another piece.  :O)

Turkey Dinner with Mom

The snow is not so important, but the sickness is bringing me down just a wee bit.  It may keep me from running the half marathon.  I was unable to workout yesterday and I'm down and out today.  I went to the doctor and was given antibiotics, an inhaler, and cough medicine.  So here I am on the couch watching the Blue Planet with Maya.  As much as I feel the need to get up and do something, Rest is mandatory today so here I lay.  

This week I did manage to start Wendler back up.  My cycle includes back squat, deadlift, & bench press.  Double Unders are still an obstacle.  This week my weakness was exposed.  A WOD that took most 25 minutes took me 39 minutes.  Just an example that it warrants a lot of attention.  Based on suggestions in the gym I ordered an RX Jump Rope to practice the double unders and I received some jumping pointers from Tom and Michelle that I'm practicing.

Goals for the upcoming week.
1.  Get Well
2.  Wendler Week #2
3.  Daily Double Under Practice
4.  Muscle Up Practice two days
5.  Ring Dips - 5 consecutive

3 comments:

  1. Good for you. The Paleo or Whole 30 is ingrained in us so much that it really is ridiculous to think you are eating bad even if you only ate one "bad" thing on rare occassion. I understand how you feel. Yes, we want to be healthy and fit, but the bottom line is life is short. We need to enjoy life, and darn it, life is short. Take care of your health - that is most important. But hey, you look great . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Kelly) I'm with you Moe. Once you have the knowledge of food choices and their effects on our bodies, it is a very personal decision what we each choose to eat, and what is worth it to us. For me, cheese and yogurt are worth it. Am I aware of dairy's effects on my body? Yes. I make decisions for my quality of life based on risk vs. benefit. For ME the benefit of how much I enjoy it outweighs the downfalls....that may not be true for everyone. I think one of the worst things about the food knowledge we have, is to become a food Nazi, and let it make us rigid and/or judgmental of other people's choices. That just isn't worth it, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both comments above. As much as we want to eat perfect, exercise often and be good at everything, we most importantly have to remember to live a little! Don't beat yourself up. You eat well, you train hard and you deserve to be proud of that! Enjoy your dairy, and your dessert too.

    Rest up and stay positive. Just like in the WOD the other day when I yelled at Michelle for complaining, ;) Stay positive. Try to ignore the negative and focus on being positive, celebrate the accomplishments and PR's and use your weaknesses to chase your goals. If the DU's take a lot of practice then so be it, you'll be crushing them in no time. Enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete